Now that the whole country’s going bonkers for the start of the 2012 Olympics, we thought we’d take a look at some of the lesser-known facts about the history of The Games. From the downright daft to the sublimely ridiculous, here are six trivia tit-bits that you probably never knew…
1. The winner of the 1904 Olympic marathon in St. Louis, America, has his title abruptly removed when it was discovered that he had hitched a ride in a car for most of the course, prior to joining the rest of the runners just four miles from the finish line.
2. In the 1932 Games, steeplechasers were made to run an additional lap after a dozy official lost count of how many had already been completed.
3. The 1912 Greco-Roman wrestling final had to be postponed after both competitors were too exhausted to compete following the semi-final, which took 11 hours.
4. Participants of the ancient Greek Olympics undertook all their events in the nude.
5. On the subject of nudity, any streakers caught during the London 2012 games will be fined up to £20k!
6. All female entrants, bar one, at the 1976 Olympics were subjected to a sex test; the only one to escape judgement was Princess Anne.