We know you all love bingo, so we thought we’d share some fun facts about the glorious game! Fancy finding out why you may want to change your name to Margaret? Or perhaps how Bingo got it’s name? Then read on!
• The game we know and love was first named ‘Bingo’ in 1929. A game called Beano was being played at a carnival in the USA. Edwin Lowe, a toy salesman, showed the game to his friends. Apparently, one of the players yelled “Bingo!” instead of “Beano” when she made her first row – and the name stuck!
• The largest number of bingo players can be found in the USA, UK and Japan!
• The average bingo game takes up to 4 minutes to complete.
• Bingo mad? Well you must be clever then – research has shown that bingo is good for our brains! One study showed that people who played bingo did much better in certain mental tests than those who did not play! Better get down the local bingo hall then!
• A survey of regular bingo players found that people rated someone calling a ‘false’ bingo is the thing that irritates them most! Check those numbers people!
• On average, 26 people per year have to be taken to hospital …. due to overexcitement when winning at Bingo!
• Women with the name Margaret are more likely to win at Bingo than anyone else! (apparently… so don’t go changing your name just yet!)
• Celebrities love bingo! Catherine Zeta Jones, Robbie Williams and George Clooney are just a few of the celebrities that have revealed they love to play the game.
• 10% of bingo players have a lucky dabber or some type of lucky charm that they take with them to their local bingo hall. Some players admit they can’t play unless they have their lucky charm with them!
Got any fun facts or bingo stories? Share them with us here!